Today, consumers expect brands to be present in social media channels. Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Snapchat all actively encourage brands to set up profiles. But is it enough just to be visible? If you want to really engage with your customers, you need to go where they spend most of their time – and embrace social media or be left behind.
Here are my top ten social media tips for brands:
- Make sure your content is targeted and relevant to your audience. Social media users share a wealth of information about themselves – use it wisely.
- It’s not a sales pitch. They have invited you into their phones and their homes – sales driven updates will only annoy your audience.
- Post regularly – but don’t make trivial updates for the sake of updates. They don’t care what you’ve had for lunch – unless you’re a food critic!
- Everyone loves a freebie. Consider offering a promotional code or small gifts to encourage initial sign-ups.
- Your customers will create content around your brand if they love the product or service experience. Encourage them, real recommendations are worth far more than any paid advertising.
- Monitor what is being said. Social media happens in real-time and you’ll be ready to grasp unique opportunities and prevent any negativity before it spreads.
- Social media is replacing customer service phone numbers. Why would a customer call to tell you something is wrong when they can do it quickly and publicly shame you across social media? Turn it to your advantage with a speedy, transparent and human response that highlights your excellent customer service skills.
- Support your content with images and videos – they are more likely to be viewed and shared than plain text.
- Dare to be different. Don’t bore customers by posting the same content week after week. Try something new now and again.
- Lastly always keep a record of your campaigns and social click-throughs to your website. What has worked? What hasn’t worked? How can you adapt future campaigns to ensure success?
How’s your social media strategy going?